Monday, May 12, 2008

Words of Wisdom: Keep an Open Mind

So, I don't know if you've noticed, but in addition to posting instructional videos, I've also been posting videos of different types of dance which I find interesting, amazing, and/or beautiful. For instance, I posted a video clip of Flamenco, a Spanish dance.

I think it is very important to keep an open mind and be well educated and exposed to various forms of dance. It will influence your growth as a dancer as well as give you a greater appreciation for the diverse cultures in the world. Dance is an art form for people to express themselves. I find it extremely interesting and beautiful to see how different people and cultures do this. There are not only differences in movement, but the articulation of the movements and the costuming are all very important to the dancer. The poise or facial expressions of the different type of dances are also interesting to observe. I hope that when you watch these diverse videos, you gain an appreciation for all types of dance. It is amazing to see what the human body is capable of doing and expressing.

No comments: